Age: 36 Years
Marital Status: Married
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sikandar Raza
- Sikandar Raza is a Pakistan-born Zimbabwean cricketer. The Zimbabwe selectors were impressed by his performance in domestic cricket and gave him the citizenship of Zimbabwe in 2011 so he could represent Zimbabwe in various cricket tournaments.
- He developed an interest in cricket from his father and uncles who wanted to represent Pakistan in cricket.
- While he was in school, he wanted to become a fighter pilot. He was selected from 10,000 students to study at the Pakistan Air Force boarding school. However, he failed the Lens Opacity test in the final medical round.
- In 2002, his family moved from Pakistan to Zimbabwe and there he started playing cricket at the semi-professional level. Gradually, he started gaining popularity as a cricketer in domestic cricket tournaments. Later, the selectors of the Zimbabwe cricket team notice him in one of his matches and wanted to pick him for the national cricket team. However, he was of Pakistani nationality which was becoming a hindrance in his selection. So, in 2011, the Zimbabwe Government gave him citizenship.
- He has played in various cricket leagues such as Afghanistan Premier League, Bangladesh Premier League, Caribbean Premier League, and Pakistan Premier League.
- In 2012, he scored a maximum of 243 runs against Bangladesh in a series, and his maximum number of wickets in a series was against Sri Lanka in 2019-20 where he took 11 wickets.
- In July 2014, Raza, along with Hamilton Masakzada, made a record for the highest opening partnership with 224 runs against Afghanistan at Queens Sports Club Stadium, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Out of 224 runs, 141 runs were scored by Raza. He also made the record for the highest run scored by a Zimbabwean player in an ODI match.
- Raza has played against various countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, New Zealand, West Indies, South Africa, Afghanistan, and Sri Lanka. In July 2017, he scored his best against Sri Lanka at R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- In 2017, he came into the limelight with the ODI series in which the Zimbabwe team won the series by 3-2 against Sri Lanka. Raza scored 27 (not out) and took 3 wickets for 21 runs in the last match of the series.
- In 2018, he received the Player of the Tournament award for scoring 319 runs and took 15 wickets in the ODI World Cup Qualifiers. He finished his 100 ODI matches in March 2020.
- His best bowling performance was against Sri Lanka in January 2020 where he took 7 wickets for 113 runs. He became Man of the Match in the test match.
- In April 2021, he started having severe pain in his right arm which went worse with the passage of time. The doctors said that he had an infection in the bone marrow. Reportedly, there were speculations that he had cancer. However, the reports turned out to be false.
- Except for England, he has played against all major ODI teams. As of 2022, he has won the Man of the Match title in ODI matches 9 times.
- In August 2022, his team won 3 match series against Bangladesh and scored 135 runs (not out) and 117 runs (not out) in 2 consecutive matches.
- In T20 cricket matches, he has played against all major teams except England and Australia. In the 2022 World Cup, his team won the match by taking 4 wickets for 8 runs against the Netherlands. He even received the Man of the Match title for the same. In 2022, his team qualified for the Super 12 stage of the T20 World Cup in Australia. He scored 136 runs and took 3 wickets in the match. In the T20 World Cup 2022, he made his highest score (as of 2022) of 82 runs in 48 balls against Ireland in the first match. The match was against Bangladesh.
- Raza is the first player from Zimbabwe to score 3 centuries in ODI match run chases. As of 2022, he is the only player from Zimbabwe to score 2 consecutive centuries in ODI run chases. He is also the fourth cricketer to score 3 centuries in ODI in a calendar year.
- In August 2022, he was selected as the ICC ODI player of the month, and he became the first player from Zimbabwe to get the title. As of 2022, he is also the highest scorer from Zimbabwe in T20 World Cup, and Raza is the first player from Zimbabwe to score 600 runs in T20 cricket in a calendar year.
- Sikandar Raza is represented by Stem Sports and Lifestyle Management Agency.
- He is appointed as the brand ambassador of various brands like Splash Zimbabwe, Shrey Sports, The Country Club, and PUMA South Africa.
- He loves eating African Braai.