Age: 40 Years
Profession: Filmmaker, Producer
Some Lesser Known Facts About Om Raut
- Om Raut is an Indian filmmaker, writer, and producer. In 2020, he was the recipient of the Best Popular Film for his film Tanhaji at 68th National Film Awards. In 2015, he earned several awards and accolades for his film Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush. In 2022, Om Raut came into the limelight when the teaser of his Hindu mythological film Adipurush, which was an adaption of Ramayana, attracted controversy. The film starred Indian actor Prabhas in the lead role as Lord Rama.
- Om Raut worked as a child artist in several South Indian theatre plays and ad films. In 1993, he appeared in the film Karamati Coat in a lead role. According to some media sources, he was intorduced to the world of entertainment and cinema by his mother, Neena Raut.
- Soon after completing his formal education, Om Raut began working at MTV Network in New York City as a writer and director. Later, he returned to India and started working with DAR Motion Pictures as its Creative Head. Thereafter, Om Raut served as the vice-president of creative business at Valuable Group, which are the promoters of UFO-Moviez.
- Om Raut then began producing Hindi films such as City of Gold in 2010 and Haunted – 3D in 2011.
- In 2012, Om Raut co-founded a production company named Neena Raut Entertainment along with his mother.
- In 2015, his directorial debut was the Marathi film Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush. This film was produced under his mother’s production banner Neena Raut Entertainment in which his mother works as a co-founder. Om Raut was honoured with the Best Debut Director award for the film Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush, which was based on the life of Indian social reformer and freedom fighter Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
- In 2020, Om Raut’s Hindi directorial debut film was Tanhaji, which earned him many national awards and accolades.
- In october 2022, it was announced that his film ‘Adipurush’ would release on 12 January 2023. the film starred Prabhas and Saif Ali Khan in the roles of Rama and Ravana, respectively.
- Reportedly, in 2021, Om Raut was pursuing his PhD degree on business of cinema.
- Om Raut likes enjoying alcoholic beverages occasionally.
- In October 2022, his mythological drama ‘Adipurush’ attracted controversy and faced objections for hurting the religious sentiments of the Hindu by misrepresenting the Hindu deities in the film. Several pleas were filed against him in the Delhi Hight Court while demanding changes in the film. Some stated that the film picturised the Hindu gods in an “unwarranted” and “inaccurate” way in its teaser video. Om Raut rejected all the allegations againt him in a media conference and stated that the makers of the film had not changed anything in the film, and it was just a translation from books to celluloid. Om said,
Our Ravan in today’s time is demonic, he is cruel. The one who has abducted our Goddess Sita is cruel. We have shown what Raavan looks like in today’s time. This is not a film or a project for us but a mission. Our film is a symbol of our devotion, and we need everyone’s blessings for this.”
I don’t want anyone to misunderstand that we have changed it. It is to translate from books to celluloid. So this is not a film for us. This is a representation of our bhakti, shraddha (devotion and faith) and what we stand for.”